Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What Once Was Lost by Kim Vogel Sawyer ~ Review



“What Once Was Lost” is a sweet prairie historical. I’m not sure I would necessarily classify it as romance, because there wasn’t much of such added to this novel, but there was plenty of character discovery and growth.
           
I will say I was disappointed in the lack of romance across the whole of this book. Not because I can only read and enjoy a historical romance, but because I have come to expect it and felt the story was more “single minded” in the way of the struggles based around saving the poor farm.  
            
However, that being said, the cast of characters are a good bunch. With four points of view throughout the story the reader has more than just the hero and heroine’s struggles to read about. It gives a broader depth to the story and I definitely appreciated that about it. Christine is a tenacious character. She doesn’t give up easily, maybe even when she should. Levi is one of those characters that has a crusty and hard exterior, but a good and soft heart. I really loved him as the hero. Tommy is precious and Cora was probably my favorite in watching her learn to love the Lord and forgive her past.  
            
Overall, a good story with good characters, but one I’d have liked to have seen more romance between the main characters.

           
This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel....

A woman meant to serve, a child in the dark, a man standing apart—can these three souls embrace a God with new plans for them?

On a small Kansas farm, Christina Willems lovingly shepherds a group of poor and displaced individuals who count on her leadership and have come to see the Brambleville Asylum for the Poor as their home. But when a fire breaks out in the kitchen leaving the house inhabitable, she must scramble to find shelter for all in her care, scattering her dear “family.”

With no other options, Christina is forced to approach Levi Jonnson, a reclusive mill owner, to take in a young blind boy named Tommy Kilgore. Levi agrees with reluctance but finds himself surprised by the bond that quickly grows between him and Tommy. As obstacles to repairing the farm pile up against Christina, she begins to question her leadership ability and wonders if she can fulfill the mission to which she's dedicated her life. And when an old adversary challenges Christina, will she find an unlikely ally—or more—in the aloof Levi? Can Levi reconcile with the rejection that led to his hermit-like existence and open his heart and life to something more, especially a relationship with a loving God?


Would you consider rating my review? 
Your email address will not be spammed and the ratings help me on the publishers website. Thank you! :-)


1 comment:

  1. I have to say I'm biased about this writer and this book especially. I know Kim personally, we went to church together, sang in the same choir and love her dearly. Have also read every book she's written and own them also. I was on a team of hers to preview the book. So, I just wanted to let you know that is the reason for the rating on your review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann