Friday, February 8, 2013

An Ode to Growing Up

When we're two we want to touch everything. And our parents can't wait to get us out of this stage and be able to put the papers back on the edge of the counter and the spanking spatula back in the drawer.


Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net 
When we're five we point and grin and demand that we drive the tractor with Dad. Why not? My feet reach all the way to the ground, so why shouldn't I have the privilege of driving that great big hunk of green?

When we're eleven, we can't wait to become a teenager, sure that our parents will give us a great deal more respect because of that word, neglecting to realize that most parents dread the teenage years more than a case of the shingles.

When you're fifteen we can't wait for that driver's license. It's not just enough to have the permit, we want to be free to rule that front seat and go anywhere we want at anytime we want. We want to be able to text and drive without our mother snatching the phone out of our hand and yelling at us to hit the break while simultaneously pumping her passenger floorboard as if that could actually stop the vehicle barreling toward the intersection. 

When you're eighteen, we can't wait to get out of high school, out of the teenage years that are so very overrated and out of the house. Out on our own. 

Every single one of those years we as young people look and wish them away. Want to be out in the big adult world. But more than anything we want control. We want power and freedom. It's part of our sin-filled nature to want more, want something better than what we already have.

And then we get there. And realize...wow...this was nothing like what we planned it would be. We actually have responsibilities and struggles...and things to figure out. And suddenly we realize, maybe our parents weren't such control freaks to keep those things away from us when they did. 

Makes me very thankful for a Heavenly Parent that is always watching out for me. Has got this crazy thing called life already figured out for me, I just have to yield to His plan for my life. And we realize, all during our growing up years, we wanted control. But when we actually get there and can touch it, it's not anything like we planned...or bargained for. 

And that's when God smiles, "Got any more plans to share?"

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! So true and relatable! If we aren't careful, we will wish our lives away--hoping for better, when the best is already within us.

    Thank you for this post. What a blessed way to start my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth?! I can't believe as I get older how fast life goes, and yet I still wish for the next life even around the corner. I'm learning to be more patient with what God has in store.

      Delete
  2. I find myself saying and using the same rules my parents used on me--the ones that frustrated me to no end, the same ones that frustrate my daughter, and the same ones I pray she'll use as well! :) Loved your post today, Casey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a vicious cycle isn't it, Jess? But one that is so important. My sister is a bit that way, always wanting to be older than what she is. Once she gets there she is in for a rude awakening. :)

      Delete
  3. If you want God to laugh, tell Him your plans, right? :)

    I think we're like this as adults too. Always looking for the next thing and not truly appreciating right where we're at. I know I'm like this...and I strive to change. To slow down and enjoy. Because you're right...tomorrow might look nothing like we thought it would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect comment, Lindsay. There is a difference between dreams and working towards them and discontent.

      Delete
  4. Cool post, Casey. Reminds me of that quote--best way to make God laugh, tell him your plans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, Casey. I'm a great fan of odes, as you know. :) And this one, yes. Definitely a subject I can relate to. Let's see, at this age, I was supposed to be at college, with a roommate who doubled as a BFF. Life looked a lot like a continual sleepover. :)

    But it's so much grander than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Isn't that the greatest? Life is often so much better than we ever imagined...and not often what we bargained for. :)

      Delete
  6. Beautifully said. I regularly think about this as I see even adults rushing through their children's lives. 'I can't wait for the first tooth, sit up, crawl walk...school.' We just need to realize, like you said, that He has it all figured out and there is incredible freedom in yielding to that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann