Saturday, May 5, 2012

Fulfilling ~ Interrupted by Rachel Coker ~ Review


I was first introduced to this book a couple weeks ago and the concept of the novel caught my attention. It actually was not what I expected at the start, but what I got within the pages was certainly fulfilling.

            The opening starts with a great hook. A girl still too young, taking care of her mom who is slowly slipping away from her. Watching this girl take on more than should be put on her shoulders made my heart yearn to help her.

            The middle I thought lacked a bit of power to keep the story from growing a bit slow. I could understand Ally’s bitterness - after a while I grew tired of it. She has people loving and yearning to help her and she continuing ignores the kindness.

            That said, I didn’t grow bored with the story and just about the time I was looking for something to move it forward, something did. I thought the ending was completely endearing and I loved how it closed. It carefully tips and tucks and rounds characters out nicely.

            My only true complaint about the story? I wanted to see more of Sam. He is such a sweet character…one I wished I could have gotten to know better. But his mysteriousness is definitely a draw. (smile)
            All in all…a very good debut novel.

            This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for my ARC to review.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel...

Can love really heal all things? If Sam Carroll hadn't shown up, she might have been able to get to her mother in time. Instead, Allie Everly finds herself at a funeral, mourning the loss of her beloved mother. She is dealt another blow when, a few hours later, she is sent from Tennessee to Maine to become the daughter of Miss Beatrice Lovell, a prim woman with a faith Allie cannot accept. Poetry and letters written to her mother become the only things keeping Allie's heart from hardening completely. But then Sam arrives for the summer, and with him comes many confusing emotions, both toward him and the people around her. As World War II looms, Allie will be forced to decide whether hanging on to the past is worth losing her chance to be loved.

2 comments:

  1. Casey, you have a most delicate way with words. I love your description, "It carefully tips and tucks and rounds characters out nicely."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I do love to play with them. ;-)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann