Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Up All Night Suspense in "Downfall" by Terri Blackstock ~ Review

“Up All Night Fiction” was a pretty good description for what I wanted to do several points in the novel “Downfall”. Over the last three nights I was glued to the pages of this latest suspense and more than once didn’t want to go to bed, but to only keep reading for one…more…chapter. (They are short, honestly!)

            After following the characters of Emily, Lance, Barbara and Kent for three books, you’ve come to know them and how they think and act in a scene. I’ve really enjoyed seeing Emily progress from the drug addict she was (and still struggles to fight) to the woman she is submitting herself to be. You wouldn’t have to read the first two to understand this last book, you will appreciate it more if you have.

            Tension is a good word for some of the scenes in the novel. Surrounding several murders and moments with “The Avenger”, it pretty much kept me wanting to turn the pages and figure out what was going on.

            I will admit Barbara kind of rubs my nerves the wrong way. Oh not all the time and I can understand her vulnerability when it comes to her daughter’s drug problem. She was just a bit too hysterical at times for my taste.

            Really from beginning to end, the novel is a solid suspense. I pretty much figured out the villain, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying the rest of the story. It’s a fast read, intense, but satisfying.

            This review is my honest opinion. My thanks to the author’s PR manager for my copy to review.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel...

Emily Covington has turned her life around after a drug addiction, but her family still has trouble trusting her in this unabridged audio download of Downfall. Though Emily has committed herself to a year-long treatment program and has been sober for almost a year beyond that, even her mother walks on egg shells around her, fearing she'll relapse. After her behavior during her drug years, Emily realizes she has a lot to prove.

When police discover a home-made bomb under Emily's car, and she then learns the wife of one of her friends was murdered that same morning, she knows things are deadly serious.

But who wants Emily dead? And why?

A conversation she had with two men, an Alfred Hitchcock movie, and a plan for a double-murder all conspire for one explosive ride ... and Emily is the only one who can identify the killer and save the life of the next potential victim.

As she frantically works to solve this ever more complicated puzzle, Emily finds herself playing right into the killer's hands.

2 comments:

  1. While this isn't my preferred genre, I know some friends and family who'd read it. And the cover? Great!
    Thanks, Casey, for always keeping me up on what's out there to read. My To Be Read pile grows daily because of you. (And that's a compliment.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, if you were of the mind to read suspense, Terri and Brandilyn Collins would be the authors to go with. I hope you aren't disappointed in that TBR pile. :-))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann