Saturday, March 26, 2011

An Un-Put-Down-Able Story: "When Sparrows Fall" by Meg Moseley (review)

I couldn’t put this book down.

The author crafted a masterful story. Not only were the characters unique (some of the most unique I have read), but I was blown away time and time again by their fresh perspective. You “see” the world through the character’s eyes to the point I would read a description and immediately know that yes, I have seen that. The metaphors for the setting, similes between characters, it painted a beautiful picture with the words and was one reason I couldn’t stay away from the pages.

Aside from the stand-out word painting, the storyline kept it grounded. It’s a unique setting amongst a religious “cult” that isn’t really talked about— and is too in-depth to go into in a short review. Let me say this: there is a slight element of suspense, the details behind Miranda’s past and why it brought her to this moment kept me flipping fast with no idea what the next page held.

The children and their love coupled with Jack’s devotion add spice to the story. Humor relives pressure several times and I laughed and shared lines aloud with family on more than one occasion.

There is really one word for this book: unique and un-put-down-able. Okay that’s two. Yes, it was THAT good.

This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.

You can check out Chapter 1 here
And Preorder from Amazon and CBD




More about When Sparrows Fall....

Enmeshed in an oppressive church, widow Miranda Hanford sees an escape when the pastor announces the congregation is moving. But before she can act, an accident stops her. Her brother-in-law, Jack, gives her children a "normal" life while she's hospitalized---and offers Miranda a choice that could cost her everything when she gets out.

14 comments:

  1. I have this one on the top of my TBR list.....It looked really good on the site and I knew I HAD to take it! Thanks, Casey, for the great review. Now I HAVE to read it soon!

    Blessings,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Casey. This is an awesome book! It had me hooked from the first few pages. And for this to be her debut book....just can't say enough about how good it was. I loved the characters and the story. Like you, I couldn't put it down until I finished it!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOLLY, I really enjoyed it! I think you will as well, get to it as soon as you can. :)

    JOY, I couldn't say enough either! It's one of those books I could have written a much longer review listing all it's merits.

    Thanks for coming by today ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review, Casey! I hadn't heard of it before, but now I want to move it to the top of my TBR pile; right next to The Convenient Groom. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Smiles* Sounds like a great plan Michelle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. a great review...i'm going to keep my eyes open for this fabulous novel :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be sure and do that Karen! It comes out in May. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading this one right now. I totally agree with your review! There's only one thought that jack says he read about homeschoolers that I disagree with BUT that may change before I reach the end. Hopefully on his part ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you will really like the progression on this book Anne! I know I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this book before but I'm going to check it out at my library to see if they have it right away!! I like how you don't try to describe it; good books aren't explain-able xD Thanks for the great review!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Samantha! I'm so glad you liked the review, I couldn't do the book near enough justice. But this one doesn't release until May, so keep an eye out for it then. This was an ARC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, Casey. I really enjoyed it. Just wanted to say so - and you have a blessed day! :)
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Megan! Always good to "see" you around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a great review! I have not yet heard of this book but I will def put it on my list to read. I like what you said that the author drew such a vivid picture that you felt like you were right there! Those kinds of stories capture me right from the start!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann