Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Words

I don’t know about you, but I have been thinking lately of the power of words.


Words have such power and deadliness to them if not used in the proper context, especially on the screen. Why is it that words on a computer screen sound harsher than words on paper? I learned this lesson more fully a few weeks ago when I left a sarcastic comment on a friend’s post, but it didn’t quite come off the funny way I intended. Needless to say I had to go and apologize for the way it sounded, even though it wasn’t intentional.

Words can come across with such fury and hurt so deeply. What is it about words that can cut to the quick.? Drive us back and hurt our feelings? I often wonder when I write something, how is this going to sound? I would rather come across as meek and quiet on an email that brash and loudmouth. And I think too often I come across as the latter.

Hanging in my dad’s office is a sign: keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

It stings to go back and have to say “I’m sorry”, especially when it didn’t come across the way it was intended. But I have learned that words, just letters on a page can be misconstrued and harmful. I don’t understand it, but it is there.

I am very much a person that second guesses herself, what I just said, what I just wrote, how I just acted. I mull it all over and wish I could go back and fix it. If only there was an eraser for life.

Words have such power, so much potential. You can bring a sinner to his knees by a well written passage in a book, weave a story that drives deep into a reader’s heart and remains there for ages to come. But it seems to be the impromptu, the little messages winging about space and the comments dispersed at the drop of a hat that can lead to such turmoil.

I don’t think I will ever understand the power of words, but at least, I hope to learn to respect them

5 comments:

  1. This got me thinking a lot about the mean things I've been saying to my best friend lately. I lash out at her, because she's the only one that listens, and then I feel terrible about it. If only I would stop and think about how she will take them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post, Casey and something I know I need to think about daily. You raise a great point about email too. Often I quickly hit send and am reminded I need to be more prayerful about my words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Casey! I know this is something I have to work on, too--especially the words I say to my family. And I think this could even apply to reviews, because I can't imagine how hard it would be to read a harsh review on something you worked so hard on for so long. I need to be more careful to use words that will reach out to others and encourage them, not hurt them.

    Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ariel, I know what you mean, sometimes we need a sounding block, but don't often realize what we are saying can be hurtful.

    @Julia, emails are my biggy. I don't often look before I write and wonder how the person on the other end of the email will feel when they read it. Like I said, I wish there was an eraser for life.

    @Amber, I needed the reminder just as much. It is a lesson I am trying to learn. Who would think that 26 little letters could cause so much damage?

    Thanks for reading today ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann